By Polar Apr 26, 2012
As we begin to see a lot of Heroic: Madness kills happen, I am getting quite a few positive comments on the topic as to why our final realm rankings are different to those on sites such as wowprogress. So I thought I would take a moment to explain the main differences in our guild ranking schemes.

In the middle of 2011, we did a survey and asked people what type of progress system they would prefer in the rankings. The overwhelming response was that people wanted a system that rewarded guilds for consistent performance, rather than ranking them on the last boss that they killed. So we listened and changed our ranking method to a simple points system. This system assigns points based on the speed of a boss kill and sums these points to rank guilds. We improved on this commonly used system by calculating points to the second (rather than the day) and adjusting heroic kill dates based on delayed start to heroic content. It has been running this way for 12 months now and we are very pleased with the results.

Wowprogress, on the other hand, awards points up to the final boss of a tier but then ranks guilds solely based on the date on which Heroic: Madness was killed, discarding all points gained for previous boss kills.

Consequently, our guild rankings are showing quite a difference now that more and more guilds are clearing the final heroic modes of the expansion. You will see GuildOx ranking guilds higher where they have been consistently strong throughout the whole heroic Dragon Soul tier. We believe this is a much fairer system - but I will leave that for you to decide.

Variation in ranking sites is positive thing and we are gathering quite a following as a result. Please be sure to continue to let your fellow raiders know about us. We continue to innovate and have some great new and very original features coming soon.

-Polar
By Kenji Apr 27, 2012
I like the rankings on GuildOx but it's sad that guilds are just deleted if many members leave and only 4-5 are left for a while. All votes (many votes!) and old progress is gone now. :(
By porthios Apr 30, 2012
I would also like to add that previous tier history would be a nice feature to introduce in the future!
Starting from tier 13 try to work a way to keep historical data but without updating kills if a new expansion or a new tier makes previous tier irrelevant.
Keep up the good work!
By Polar Apr 30, 2012
This is a common request and is something that we are definitely looking into. We have all of the T11, T12 and T13 data so we should be able to keep it around for MoP.